Homologation of foreign university degrees to Spanish university degrees required for the exercise of a regulated profession

Spain transposed Directive 2005/36/EC on the recognition of professional qualifications through Royal Decree 1837/2008. This regulation establishes both the catalogue of regulated professions and the competent authorities to regulate them (Ministries or bodies of the Autonomous Communities).

The regulated professions in Spain for which a university degree is required are:

Médico Ingeniero Técnico de Minas Ingeniero Industrial
Veterinario Ingeniero Técnico de Obras Públicas Ingeniero Aeronáutico
Enfermero Ingeniero Técnico Aeronáutico Ingeniero Agrónomo
Fisioterapeuta Ingeniero Técnico Agrícola Ingeniero de Montes.
Dentista Ingeniero Técnico Forestal Ingeniero Naval y Oceánico
Farmacéutico Ingeniero Técnico Naval Ingeniero de Telecomunicación
Logopeda Ingeniero Técnico Industrial Arquitecto
Óptico-Optometrista Ingeniero Técnico de Telecomunicación Maestro en Educación Infantil
Podólogo Ingeniero Técnico en Topografía Maestro en Educación Primaria
Terapeuta Ocupacional Arquitecto Técnico Profesor de Educación Secundaria Obligatoria y Bachillerato, Formación Profesional y Enseñanzas de Idiomas.
Dietista-Nutricionista Ingeniero de Caminos, Canales y Puertos Abogado
Psicólogo General Sanitario Ingeniero de Minas Procurador de los Tribunales


Royal Decree 889/2022 establishes the procedure for the homologation: official recognition of the training passed in order to obtain a foreign qualification, comparable to that required to obtain a Spanish qualification which is required for the exercise of a regulated profession.
The competent authority is the Ministry responsible for universities, which will decide on applications on the basis of the Commission for the Technical Analysis of Recognition and Equivalences (CATHYDE), which is made up of the Ministry, ANECA and experts representing the universities.

CATHYDE may propose general measures to resolve applications with similar characteristics (same country, same university, same syllabus) or request specific reports from ANECA or other experts.

Procedure: Ministry of Universities