To join the University Teaching Bodies, i.e. Senior lecturer and Professors, prior national assessment is required which, by assessing the merits and competences of the candidates, ensures quality when selecting university academic staff.
The assessment is universal and the assessment procedure is carried out per teaching body and branch of knowledge.
Scope of action
In Spain there are two kinds of civil-servant academic staff, and both require a prior positive assessment from ANECA:
- 'Profesores Titulares de Universidad' (Senior Lecturers)
- 'Catedráticos de Universidad' (Professors)
- The interested parties apply to ANECA for evaluation, indicating the teaching body for which they want to be assessed and their branch of knowledge. Together with their application, they must provide their curriculum, which must include documentary justification of the merits that they have stated.
- The evaluations are carried out by the assessment committees and by a panel of experts from all the scientific fields. To join that panel, the experts must comply with the same teaching and research quality requirements as those for being a committee member and they must previously accept and sign ANECA’s ethics code.
- The evaluation model is public and has two levels of development: the criteria included in the annex of the Royal Decree and those set out in the document “Principles and guidelines for applying the evaluation criteria” drafted by ANECA.